I hope these tips will help when dealing with negative integers:
- Negative integers are less than zero.
- The further you walk away from zero the smaller the integer becomes.
- Students get confused because we say smaller but the number looks larger, you could say the greater the debt, or the greater the problem. (debt and problem are negative keywords)
- When comparing negative integers ask yourself which is worse.
- ex: -43 and -23
- If you put a situation to represent the negative you could think of this as "I lost 43 dogs and "I lost 23 dogs." Which is worse?
- -43 is worse, therefore it will be the smallest integer.
- -43 is smaller because it is farther away from zero than -23.